Fellowships and Other Support

Central Recruitment and Continuing Student Fellowships:

Some students are supported by the multiyear campus-wide central recruitment fellowships awarded during the recruitment process. Each year the Graduate Committee nominates students for single-year central continuing student fellowships offered by the Graduate Division, which include a stipend, a partial fee reduction, and health insurance.

Graduate students who have advanced to the dissertation stage also have the opportunity to apply each year for a number of continuing student fellowships offered by the university. These fellowships range in duration from one quarer to one academic year, and they relieve the student of teaching responsibilities for the duration of the fellowship. They include a stipend, partial fee reduction, and health insurance. More information about central student fellowships can be found on the Graduate Division website

Need-based Financial Support:

Need-based loans and work-study awards are available to domestic and permanent residents through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Eligibility is based on filing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each spring. 

All students are strongly encouraged to apply for work-student awards, which generates additional departmental funds for student support.

Block Grants:

Each year the Department receives a “block grant” from the Graduate Division, which is essentially a block of money spent on graduate student support at the discretion of the Department. This money can be offered to incoming students in the form of a living expense stipend, payment of tuition and health insurance for the first year.