The Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program is designed to aid and encourage English majors who want to conduct research beyond the level of ordinary course assignments. Arnhold Fellows participate in colloquiums and present their research to the department at the year-end Research Showcase.
The program provides the opportunity for qualified English majors to receive extra guidance and assistance as they pursue their research goals. The Fellows will benefit from one-on-one research mentoring from the Arnhold Graduate Fellow; special workshops and panels designed to address questions about research, graduate school, careers after school, etc.; and the opportunity to present their research professionally in an end-of-year Research Showcase.
Successful performance in the program leads to graduating with the designation of “Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellow.” This program is especially recommended for students who plan to apply to professional school or to graduate school in the humanities.
For more information on the program and to keep informed of our activities, visit the Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program site.
English majors who have completed the sophomore year with a minimum GPA of 3.3 (overall and in the major) may apply for admission to the Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program. Students should apply to the program in the fall of their junior year. In special cases, students may apply in the fall of their senior year.
- A brief statement of interest indicating why you are applying for the Arnhold Program (0.5 - 1 page).
- A writing sample (no more than 10 pages); it is recommended that you submit work originally written for an English course.
In order to satisfy the requirements of the Arnhold Undergraduate Fellows Program, students must fulfill the following terms:
First Year Requirements:
- Attend at least three Arnhold workshops or panels in each of the Winter and Spring quarters.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.3 or higher in English (in the overall major and the upper division).
- Participate in the Arnhold Research Showcase, which takes place at the end of the Spring quarter. Each student must prepare a poster illustrating their research, and informally present their research and conclusions during the duration of the event.
- Juniors are encourage (though not required) to submit a research article to be published in the online journal.
All Arnhold Fellows are also encouraged (although not required) to attend functions hosted by the Department's centers and specializations.
Applications for the Program must be submitted in hard copy to the English Undergraduate Advisor's office. Please contact the Undergraduate Advisor for information concerning due dates. The Graduate Fellow will notify applicants of their acceptance after the Arnhold Committee has reviewed their applications. The review process should take no more than two weeks.
- Visit the Arnhold Program's site.