Study Abroad for English Majors

How to petition study abroad courses? Click here!

The English Department encourages its students to consider completing some portion of their undergraduate study through the University of California’s Education Abroad Program. Students can deepen their understanding of British, American, and post-colonial English literature by study in a foreign university and at the same time add an international dimension to their undergraduate education. Because all courses taken through EAP are accepted as UC courses, with careful planning students may spend as much as a year of study in a foreign university with no loss of time in completing their degrees.

EAP maintains a webpage for English majors thinking about study abroad programs.

There are several ways in which to incorporate study abroad into the English curriculum. Students may choose to complete a significant portion of their studies in the major at an English-speaking university in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Barbados, or South Africa. Most courses in the English departments in these countries are accepted for elective credit in the major or minor, and in many cases required courses may be completed as well. Students taking this option typically study abroad in their junior or senior year.

Students who have completed their lower-division language studies may expand their knowledge of that language through literature classes in a foreign university through EAP. Up to eight units of European literature outside of English may be counted toward the English major. In addition, students may take approved English literature classes at these universities.

English majors and minors may also begin the study of a foreign language through the short-term language and culture programs offered by EAP in such countries as France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Chile.

Students interested in completing a part of their major abroad can navigate to the courses that may be counted for upper-division credit for the English major or minor through the Education Abroad Program. For questions about petitioning EAP courses to count towards the major, click here.

For questions regarding the Education Abroad Program for English majors, please contact the English Department's Undergraduate Adviser or the Education Abroad Program.

Information From Fall 2020 Study Abroad Meeting: