In Memoriam - Glyn Salton-Cox
|In Memoriam – Glyn Salton-Cox
The English Department is devastated to announce the death over the New Year of our colleague Glyn Salton-Cox. To his family, loved ones, and friends here, in his native Britain, and throughout the world, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt condolences. Glyn was a brilliant scholar, a very popular teacher, and the kindest of colleagues.
The Department of English invites you to a commemoration of our colleague Glyn Salton-Cox on Friday, March 3d, 2023.
We will gather in the Faculty Club’s Betty Elings Wells Pavilion at 3:00 pm and then move to the Terrace at 4:00 pm for a reception. Please let us know of any accessibility requests.
Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program
The Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program is designed to aid and encourage English majors who want to conduct research beyond the level of ordinary course assignments. Arnhold Fellows participate in colloquiums and present their research to the department at the year-end Research Showcase.
The program provides the opportunity for qualified English majors to receive extra guidance and assistance as they pursue their research goals. The Fellows will benefit from one-on-one research mentoring from the Arnhold Graduate Fellow; special workshops and panels designed to address questions about research, graduate school, careers after school, etc.; and the opportunity to present their research professionally in an end-of-year Research Showcase.
Successful performance in the program leads to graduating with the designation of “Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellow.” This program is especially recommended for students who plan to apply to professional school or to graduate school in the humanities.
For more information on the program and to keep informed of our activities, visit the Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program site.
English majors who have completed the sophomore year with a minimum GPA of 3.3 (overall and in the major) may apply for admission to the Arnhold Undergraduate Research Fellows Program. Students should apply to the program in the fall of their junior year. In special cases, students may apply in the fall of their senior year.
- A brief statement of interest indicating why you are applying for the Arnhold Program (0.5 – 1 page).
- A writing sample (no more than 10 pages); it is recommended that you submit work originally written for an English course.
In order to satisfy the requirements of the Arnhold Undergraduate Fellows Program, students must fulfill the following terms:
- Attend at least three Arnhold workshops or panels in each of the Winter and Spring quarters.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.3 or higher in English (in the overall major and the upper division).
- Participate in the Arnhold Research Showcase, which takes place at the end of the Spring quarter. Each student must prepare a poster illustrating their research, and informally present their research and conclusions during the duration of the event.
- Students are encouraged (although not required) to submit a research article to be published in an online journal.
- All Arnhold Fellows are also encouraged (although not required) to attend functions hosted by the Department’s centers and specializations.
Applications for the Program must be submitted online via the Arnhold Program website. Please contact the Arnhold Graduate Fellow with any questions and for information concerning due dates. The Graduate Fellow will notify applicants of their acceptance after the Arnhold Committee has reviewed their applications. The review process should take no more than two weeks.
Visit the Arnhold Program’s site.